While remodeling your bathroom, it is important to choose a countertop style considering the theme of your bathroom and your desired functionality. Countertops are an essential part of the bathroom, and they also play a major role in making your space look more luxurious and modern.
Materials & Pros/Cons
There are a wide range and variety of material choices available for bathroom countertops. This can make deciding what to use a little confusing. Some of the popular materials for countertops include ceramic, laminate, natural stone, concrete, and quartz countertops.
Ceramic countertops are traditionally used and have now been upgraded to modern styles and trends. Ceramic tiles are made of clay with surface glaze and then heated by fire to harden them. You can find multiple colors, sizes, and styles in this material based on your preferences. Whether you’re going for a warm tone or a cool and bright theme, there are different variations to choose from. Ceramic tiles are well known for their low cost as compared to other countertop materials, but you’ll also have to consider the cost of installation separately.
- Ceramic tiles are affordable and provide a premium look for the countertops.
- There are multiple designs and textures available to match your bathroom’s theme.
- If the ceramic countertop is cracked or damaged, then it will be difficult for you to get it replaced because it can not be repaired.
- Countertops made with ceramic tiles are not very durable that’s why you have to be extra careful with them.
- These countertops have uneven surface which might even make it difficult for you to use.
Laminate countertops have evolved over the decades. They can give a great luxurious look at an affordable price. They are usually made of layers of kraft paper, plastic, and protective resins pressed together while heated to form a durable decorative layer. Nowadays, you can find a variety of designs available in laminate countertops, and you can easily achieve the premium look of quartz, marble, and any other expensive material using the laminate. Having a non-porous surface, laminate doesn’t easily get dirt and moisture.
- Laminate countertops are very budget-friendly, which means you can also save money to invest in other fixtures for the bathroom.
- There’s a huge range of colors and patterns available to match the theme.
- You don’t have to worry about sealing or any special care for these countertops as they are totally maintenance-free, and you can protect them long-term.
- They are lightweight and may not be durable as other mater
- Laminate doesn’t have a good resale value which can be a problem for you.
- You can get small scratches touched up, but deep scratches or damages can not be fixed, and you’ll have to replace it with a new countertop.
Natural stone is one of the most popular materials for countertops after ceramic or porcelain. Some of the natural stones types include limestone, soapstone, marble, and granite. These material countertops are unique and luxurious and have a huge variety when it comes to styles and colors. Having great quality, these countertops have a hard surface which makes them durable for several years. You can use these countertops for prolonged use if taken care of properly.
- Natural stone is a premium material that gives a luxurious look.
- Granite and marble tiles are durable for long-term use.
- These countertops are stain and heat-resistant, which makes them an ideal option.
- Natural stone has a great resale value which contributes to a valuable asset in your home.
- Natural stones are a little more expensive than other countertop materials.
- This material requires special care, which means you’ll have to get some specific cleaning products to maintain it.
- Repairing these countertops is not an easy task, so you must take care of them well.
Marble is one of the best options to achieve a luxurious look for your bathroom. Although it requires more maintenance than granite, it is a durable stone which makes it worthy of all the care. Also, it is efficient to handle countertop traffic, so you don’t need to be worried about damage or cracks. The whiteness of marble is unmatchable, and it will give you the most premium look.
Soapstone is not a very common countertop material, but it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t has the charm to make your bathroom more aesthetic and attractive. This material has plain, but it still looks eye-catchy and equally appealing as other luxurious materials. One of the best things about soapstone is it is environmentally friendly and doesn’t require any chemicals in the making process. Soapstone is a naturally non-porous stone, so you won’t have to be worried about liquid spillings or stones. Also, while other natural stones might get damaged easily, soapstone doesn’t get cracks easily.
Granite countertops are hard-wearing and beautiful. This material can go for both traditional and modern themes to create the best possible look for your bathroom. Granite is tough, durable, and resistant to scratches and stains. You can get the granite countertop sealed, which will make it more durable in the long term. These countertops are also safe for health because it doesn’t get bacteria and dirt. Choosing the best material also helps in increasing the value of your home because granite has a good resale value.
Concrete is very popular and the most-used material for countertops. Concrete countertops also add great resale value to homes. These countertops are versatile, with a variety of unique and luxurious looks. You can find different colors and items like glass and stones embedded into concrete for a beautiful look. This is available in different styles and colors, and you can match this material with every theme. Like any other countertop you’ll require to maintain and clean this material on a daily basis, Concrete countertops are long-term, and you can maintain them for life long with annual sealing or waxing.
- Concrete countertops are very durable and strong for the long term.
- You can also get the customized concrete countertop made according to your requirements.
- Premium concrete requires specialized countertop fabricators.
This material is porous, which means it can absorb any spills or bacteria if it is not properly sealed. Also, these countertops are a little expensive, and you’ll also require a separate installation fee.
Quartz countertops are also called engineered stones. They are usually made from quartz and other stones, blended with resin, and then shaped into countertop slabs. This material is well-known for its consistent quality, and it is best for the modern, stylish, and uniform appearance of countertops in your bathroom. These countertops don’t get water stains, mold, and bacteria, so you can easily trust this material for its high quality. While you require to use special cleaners for natural stone countertops, quartz is easy to maintain, and you can use mild soap and water to maintain it like new for the long term. Also, it never requires sealing or waxing, which saves you a lot of time.
- The coloring of the quartz countertop is more uniform than natural stone.
- Quartz countertops are easy to maintain and stain resistant.
- Engineered quartz is not as heat resistant as natural stone.
- Quartz is a little more expensive than other materials, but it is also a one-time investment.
How to choose the right countertop?
Here are some things to consider to choose a suitable countertop for your bathroom.
- Budget should be the main factor; decide on a budget and shortlist the available options.
- Make sure the countertop is strong and durable for the long term.
- Your bathroom countertop should be easy to maintain and stain resistant.
- Choose the style that suits your bathroom interior the best.
- The color is also the main factor. You can use a lighter or darker shade depending on the contrast with your cabinets or flooring (REF; bathroom flooring).
The installation of countertops is a lengthy process because some materials, like concrete, might take up to several days to cure before the installation. DIY installation of countertops is a hectic job, and there are major chances that you won’t succeed without experience or expert assistance Countertops should be installed professionally because they are heavy, and replacing or installing them requires a lot of effort and time. Also, it should be done efficiently by an experienced team so you can get long-lasting results for prolonged use. Getting professional help saves you a lot of time and provides you with quality work.
By Appointment Only
Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday Closed
MEET WITH A DESIGN EXPERT
Beautifully planned and designed master bathrooms and suites with exquisite design details, quality, the best products from around the world and superior craftsmanship.